IS MASONRY A RELIGION?
By Dr. P. Bradley Carey
From his book
And The Dead Shall Walk The Earth
If you go up to a Mason and ask them if Masonry is a religion, a majority of them will tell you that it is not, that they are a fraternity organization. In the publication, FREEMASONRY SALUTES THE CONSTITUTION, on page 7, we find that they claim Masonry is "the world's oldest, most benevolent fraternity." On the same page they also tell us that Masonry "is not a religion..."
Now let's examine what some of their other publications have to say about Masonry:
According to their own publications they are indeed a religion, despite what their members may publicly claim. Since Masonry has now been established as a religion, let's examine a few of their beliefs and compare them with the teachings of the Bible.
- "Every Masonic Lodge is a temple of religion; and its teachings are instruction in religion." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 213)
- Masonry is "...from the earliest times the custodian and depository of the great religious truths, unknown to the world at large, and handed down from age to age by an unbroken current of tradition, embodied in symbols, emblems, and allegories." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 210)
- "...the religion of Masonry..." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 212)
- "It is the universal, eternal, immutable religion...in the heart of universal humanity...The ministers of this religion are all Masons..." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 219)
- "...Freemasonry is a religion..." (FREEMASONRY: ITS AIMS AND IDEALS, p. 187)
How do the members of Masonry achieve salvation?
So, according to Masonry, all men can "achieve salvation" on their own and that we are each a "God within the mind." Now let's see what the Bible has to tell us about salvation.
- "Masonry wisely requires no more than a belief in One Great All-Powerful Deity, the Father and Preserver of the Universe. Therefore it is she teaches...toleration is one of the chief duties of every good Mason..." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 166)
- "All soul is part of the Universal Soul...The human soul is itself a God within the mind, capable through its own power...of making itself immortal by the practice of good..." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 393)
- "Freemasonry...has taught that each man can, by himself, work out his own conception of God, and thereby achieve salvation." (FREEMASONRY: ITS AIMS AND IDEALS, p. 187)
According to the Bible, God's only inspired Word, the only way through which we can achieve salvation, is by faith alone, a belief in Jesus Christ.
- "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)
- "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified." (Galatians 2:16)
- "For by grace are ye saved, through faith: and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." (Ephesians 2:8, 9)
Why does Masonry publicly declare it is not a religion, when in fact it is? The answer is quite simple:
According to the leaders of Masonry, the truth is not for everyone except for a "favored few," and that they should consciously and deliberately lie about the things they believe and really teach.
- "Masonry, like all the Religions, all the Mysteries...conceals its secret from all except the Adepts and Sages, or the Elect, and uses false explanations and misinterpretations of its symbols..." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 104)
- "The rites of initiation become progressively more complicated. Signs and tokens were invented by which the Children of Light could with facility make themselves known to each other. Different Degrees were invented, as the number of Initiates enlarged, in order that there might be an inner apartment of the Temple, a favored few, to whom alone the more valuable secrets were entrusted...All persons were initiated into lesser Mysteries; but a few attain the greater, in which the true spirit of them, and most of their secret doctrines were hidden. The veil of secrecy was impenetrable, sealed by oaths and penalties the most treacherous and appalling." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 359)
- "All of the mystery should be kept concealed...He sins against God who divulges to the unworthy the Mysteries confided to him. The danger is not merely in violating truth, but in telling truth..." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 545)
The Bible tells us the following about keeping things secret and hidden:
According to the Bible, the truth is not to be kept secret and is to be told to everyone and anyone that we come across. It is our Christian duty, as sons and daughters of God, to tell the world of His free gift.
- "...Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God..." (Mark 4:11)
- "For nothing is secret that will not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." (Luke 8:17)
- "For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known. Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops." (Luke 12:2, 3)
- "Jesus answered him saying, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing." (John 18:20)
Masonry also teaches that:
The Bible teaches us:
- "The Mason...considers that if there were no written revelation, he could safely rest in the hopes that animate him...on the deductions of reason and the convictions of instinct and consciousness. He can find a sure foundation for his religious belief in these deductions of the intellect and convictions of the heart." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 226)
What does the religion of Masonry teach about Jesus Christ?
- "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked..." (Jeremiah 17:9)
Masonry teaches that Christ was and is no more than just a man, a man equal to Confucius and Buddha, and nothing more. We also see that they believe that Christ was here only to "make men better."
- Masonry does not "tell the sincere Christian that Jesus of Nazareth was but a man like us, or His history but the unreal revival of an older legend." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 524)
- Masonry "...reverences all of the great reformers. It sees in Moses, the Law-giver of the Jews, in Confucius and Zoroaster, in Jesus of Nazareth, and the Arabian Iconoclast, Great Teachers of Morality, and Eminent Reformers..." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 525)
- "The history of Masonry is the history of philosophy...None can deny that Christ taught a lofty morality...The early Christians followed in His footsteps...Their sole object was to make men better, by bringing back a simple worship, of which universal morality was its basis..." (MORALS AND DOGMA, pp. 540, 541)
The Bible tells us the following about Christ and His mission on the earth:
The Bible tells us that Christ was not here to just "make men better," but to do more, much more. He was here for a Divine mission, a mission that would bring each of us to know God and receive salvation.
- "Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many." (Matthew 20:28)
- "...I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also: for therefore am I sent." (Luke 4:43)
- "And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house...For the Son of man came to seek and to save that which was lost." (Luke 19:9, 10)
- "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." (John 3:17)
- "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, to kill, and to destroy: I have come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." (John 10:10).
Masonry teaches the following about the Bible:
Despite their claims, Masonry is a religion, a religion that is very unchristian in character, belief, and practice. As such, no Christian should be part of it or have anything to do with it. If you are involved in Masonry, I would strongly urge you to consider the things that have been examined here, and come to know the only true way to salvation, salvation through Jesus Christ. For Christ and Christ alone is the only way to receive redemption.
- "The Holy Bible, Square, and Compasses, are not only styled in the Great Lights of Masonry; but they are also technically called the Furniture of the Lodge...The Bible is an indispensable part of the furniture of a Christian Lodge, only because it is the sacred book of the Christian religion. The Hebrew Pentateuch in a Hebrew Lodge, and the Koran in a Mohammedan one, belong on the Altar...The obligation of the candidate is, to always be taken on the sacred book of books of his religion." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 11)
- "The Bible with all the allegories it contains, expresses, in an incomplete and veiled manner only, the religious science of the Hebrews. The doctrine of Moses and the Prophets, identical at bottom with that of the ancient Egyptians, also had its outward meaning and its veils. The Hebrew books were written only to recall to memory the traditions; and they were written in Symbols unintelligible to the Profane. The Pentateuch and the prophetic poems were merely elementary books of doctrine, morals, or liturgy; and the true secret and traditional philosophy was only written afterward, under veils still less transparent...unknown to, or rather uncomprehended by Christians; a collection...of monstrous absurdities..." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 744)
No organization or amount of good works can give to you what God alone will give to you. Salvation is the free gift of God, a gift waiting for you to open it.
If you do not know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, won't you take a moment right now and ask him into your heart. He is there with you right now, waiting for you to invite Him in. You could have left and gone to another site, but you didn't. You decided to stay here and read what was written. You can feel Him there, tugging at your heart. All you need to do is open the door. If we could be of help, please e-mail, call, or write us.